Thursday, July 19, 2012

War-Machine Hero Sandwiches

In the interest of full-disclosure I must disclose the fact that I am not in the new Spiderman movie.  I am certainly not bitter about this.  To my millions of fans, please do not be too disappointed.  I am taking it well.
Actually, though it is not obvious because of my sweet Adobe skills, I edited that picture just a bit. This is the real image.


There is an actual sniper tower in the background.  In the interest of me living longer, I don't drive down this road.  Ever.


Is there a baby parade going on around that corner?


You will be happy to know that I really have been trying to stay out of trouble.  
Yes, I am a professional fly botherer.  I do get bored easily, but I don't want to be one of those desperate people who talks to flies.  I just help bring them to their full potential.


I did get a globe as a gift once. Still have it.


I actually enjoy animals.  I take them all in without hesitation.


It doesn't make me a hero, though.  Sandwich shops make heroes.  I would be an amazing sandwich if a sandwich I were. 


My goal is to travel.  I am going to Costa Rica at the end of the year and will share that in another post. 


There is, however, one place that I will never go.  It is not because of the people.  They are really great people.  The blame falls on just a small handful that do not represent the ones who live there. 
On September 1 of this year, "dolphin hunting" starts in Taiji.  
Image taken from savejapandolphins.org

This picture was not edited.  The water is that red.  Thousands upon thousands of dolphins and whales are slaughtered in the water.  Though some people do eat dolphin meat, it is believed the fishermen actually kill the dolphins because they eat the fish and it affects their own catches. 


Some dolphins are sold to aquariums and zoos.  Over 50% of them die once they reach captivity.


I am horrified by this every year. 


As ham-fisted jumbles of words toss themselves about chaotically in my mind, I have not much to say.  


I find myself wanting to morph into some sort of rabid hurricane ready to pick up an entire continent and spew my foaming anger all over anything that threatens to come near me.  


I don't want to fight. That never solves anything.


Instead, I am just a helpless wanderer traveling in this shell of my mind hoping that people stand together, fight and become raging war-machines against people like this. Raging.


I always hope that I can have more potential as a hero than a sandwich does.  
I have also joined Pinterest and am trying to make my images more "Pinterest friendly" so that ones like the dolphins can be shared.  Anyone is welcome to follow me and share my images in a positive manner.  If you feel inclined and I hope you do, you can check out savejapandolphins.org and maybe write some letters and sign petitions.  We need to stop encouraging aquariums and zoos, also.


Whatever you decide to do with your life, be raging. 


P.S. just don't be like these people. This is a different kind of rage that is in guise as misery.

submit to reddit

48 comments:

  1. I just finally watched Dolphin Tale and you post this YIKES this is horrible the poor dolphins :( More awareness MUST be done on this!! Um I don't have a global so I am not traveling much or having anything to bother flies with I must get a life as exciting as yours soon :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how random and interesting this post is. And great, forgot to mention great. Maybe we'll see you in the amazing spiderman 2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's quite a bit to take in with this post. You really get a lot for your money when you land here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect that you just might be more amazing than Emma Stone. But I did notice that she wore some pretty tall boots in just about every scene. Was that perhaps an effort on her part to try to compete with your amazingness? Plus I doubt she ever put a fly into outer space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awful about the dolphins, but it's the whale hunting that bothers me because they tend to kill rare species. Great post overall, but I doubt the flies are easily tricked. Flies understand fundamental physics, and know that space is vacuum. If they really were in outer space, they'd get blown apart in seconds. They're wise to your illusions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Focus Tracie, focus! Your mind is squiggly today. This is serious though, disgusting, I will do something about it! Are the people in the photo dead? Their lips are purple and the eyes are empty?
    You go girl!
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, wait what? You can't just kick Emma Stone out of the movie. You just di-idn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you are advocating for the dolphins. That is a horror of trhe worst kind.

    You are so talented, and I'm glad you are using those talents in such good ways~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to see you holding flies over a globe, cackling, telling the flies that they are satellites, floating above the Earth.
    That image is heartbreaking. The one of the dolphins, not the driver/sniper thing.
    Costa Rica is great. I went there for my honeymoon and it was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww poor dolphins. Sniffle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, what does it mean that my son asked for a globe one year for Christmas and he still likes it at age 12? I love your passion for the dolphins Tracie!!! Oh and that family photo is full of all kinds of wrongness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, Stephen Hayes is right! I love the variety (and I love globes - want one!).

    The killing dolphins picture is just horribly sad. Sometimes people are just so messed up and hard to understand :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are roads where the speed limit is enforced by a sniper? Yeah I'm no hurry to go there either. But I would like to save the dolphins. I knew Japan killed a lot of whales, but I didn't know about the dolphins :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm deeply horrified by that dolphin thing :(((( Such things make me wanna cry till the end of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The poor dolphins. And they aren't even going to eat them. I think I hate them now. I can see killing to eat or in self defense, but I can't abide, "oh it was just in my way, I think I'll kill it."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted a globe when I was 14, but my parents never got me one, not even for Christmas. Now that I know they aren't super expensive, I'm wondering if there's another reason they didn't get me one. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awful what they do to the dolphins. And yeah I'd turn around if I saw that sign on the road too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's horrible what they do to dolphins! I can't believe it. I'm awful sorry about your not being in the movie, as well. Did you hear what happened in Colorado?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story in Colorado is horrific! Beyond crazy...

      Delete
  19. That is one scary sign! I would never drive on that road either. I made a guy mad at the deli yesterday ordering a hero...all because he didn't have hero bread, how is that my fault? They had to use Italian bread so my hero was ginormous LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh. My stomach turned when I saw the picture of those poor dolphins. I am an advocate for all animals, especially whales and dolphins that are killed for no reason!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Except for the dolphin segment, I totally cracked up reading this post! You are lovably insane!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I will never understand why anyone would do that to innocent animals.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hate that people still kill dolphins and whales.... they need to be bombed with piranha's or something.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The speed enforced by sniper thing would make me consider and alternate route as well. I tend to have a lead foot and would be taken out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the post except for the whole dolphin thing. That is sad hearing that it happens and seeing the picture. :/ Wish they had a mascot like Chic FilA has that cow holding a sign "Eat Mor Chik'n" or something. And the family in the picture- their smiles make them look like a delightful family. :) Enjoyed the posting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That dolphin thing now has me stressed, that's so awful. Those people in that last photo really don't look very happy to be there. :/ Have an awesome weekend and watch out for that sniper!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Was that last picture the beginning of the Duck Face phenomenon? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  28. How could you? How could you possibly torture those flies? Here you are talking about stopping the slaughtering of dolphins, all the while tormenting the flies!

    That last pic depressed me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The dolphin issue is horrendous. But overall I enjoyed your witty drawings and words.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What is it about human beings always needing to kill things? God, it makes me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That dolphin picture and the tragedy that is shark finning are two things that should condemn the purveyors to enternal hell. Draw that and make my wife and I happy!!

    And that sniper road is probably desolate most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Is that legal to have a sniper? I would never go down that road either. lol sandie

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so horrified of dolphins being killed that I refused mahi mahi when it was called dolphin in the Keys.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm saddened by the dolphin part of your post. :(

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for stopping by my blog Tracie! I would avoid that road too. Reminds me of the book Kill Me by Stephen White.

    The dolphin thing makes me really sick too. So awful...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Redish, blond hair. Hand-me-down plaid shirt. Akward gaze off into the distance. Must be a Weasley.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for the laughs..and please kiss that brain Of yours I adore the way it works.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The holding the flies over the globe made me laugh out loud, and not just lol

    but I didn't feel like laughing after the dolphin picture. Or lunch

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is horrible the mass killing that goes on. I am at a loss for words.

    ReplyDelete
  40. One of the redheads looks like Courtney Love. Anyway, that picture with the dolphins really upset me. Fighting will help with the rage. WHY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. That last shot cracked me up. Not quite the Waltons is it?

    ReplyDelete
  42. thats just horrible, the dolphin hunting. it's like killing elephants by the herds for some sadistic reasons.
    really horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Every time I hear about the dolphins, I become physically ill. Such a disgusting way to mutilate any animal and dolphins are so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  44. People who hunt and kill dolphins need to be hunted and see how they like it.........now that awkward family photo cracked me up and no I don't know why it just did...........

    ReplyDelete
  45. This reminds me of that documentary that I watched, called "The Cove." SOOOO SAD. Ugh, it pisses me off.

    Maybe animal cruelty will one day cease... even if the first step is to stop holding flies over globes.

    ReplyDelete
  46. That picture made me laugh. Of you with the maniacal grin and the globe and the fly.

    The picture of the dolphins did not make me laugh. Where do I sign the petition? I suppose clicking the link would be a start...

    ReplyDelete
  47. I join you in your rage against the Japanese killers of dolphins. Also, I rage against the aquariums and zoos that have dolphins. thanks for the link. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete